Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Eagles Have Landed

Lately, it seems, I've got eagles on the brain or more accurately in my house. The Federal style Syroco convex mirror was the first to make it home with me a few months ago (I grabbed it at the flea market for a song).

This is of course a classic style that has been around for decades, but I've really only been drawn to it recently. I think it adds a little interest to a quiet little spot near my entry and dining room. 
I know some people paint theirs to modernize them, but I think the warm gold finish is kind of nice so I'm leaving it as is.

Then, just over a week ago I snagged these eagle lamps at a junk store. 
Yes, they're a little unusual, but of course, that's why I liked them. Obviously the bases will need to be painted as they are very 70's (and not in a good way) and two different tones of blah brown, but I'm keeping the ceramic eagles their pristine white. At least I think I am.
I'm still on the fence about whether to paint out the whole lamp white and put black shades on them, or paint the bases black. Or there's always gold. Hmm. Still thinking on that one. I initially bought them to go on my son's dresser (the kids' school mascot is the Eagle, so I thought it was perfect). Um, not so much. He deemed them "creepy." So, now I'm thinking of putting them in the guest room. 

So, am I crazy? Or just patriotic? Or what?

11 comments:

The Perfect Piece said...

Okay Kathy, it's time to move to Atlanta and join the MiNTY team. Just yesterday afternoon Susie and I were discussing the merits of a big eagle lamp and now this!

I love that your eagles are white ceramic and think you should paint the bases black. I think a matte, chalky black would be a nice contrast to the opalescent white.
Nice find!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Kathy, first of all the mirror is beautiful and I love that you're keeping it gold - some things are perfect in their as found condition. The eagle lamps are pretty cute, and I think I would paint the bases white and do slender black shades on them, like the ones from Le Target I just posted about. Also, I just picked up a big carved wooden eagle at the thrift a few weeks ago, circa 1970's. It's getting a coat of white gloss white - kind of excited about it! And I didn't get to comment yesterday, but that leopard needlepoint - holy cow!

Melissa Crochet said...

Love everything and I agree that the bottoms would be awesome matte black. I too have that mirror in my half bath downstairs and my mother in law always complains she can't see in it...that's why I keep it there :)

A Perfect Gray said...

love your quirky style. mirror looks terrific...donna

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Mirror looks great. What about a good gray for the base? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

A great selection of decoration. Seems to be antiques. I think the dog found a warm place to sleep or its near the dining table, lol.

StagerLinda said...

Love the mirror. Very cool lamps. I agree about painting the base a mat black and Kim's Target lampshade.

Erin said...

I have almost the same lamps, except mine are brass and I painted the bases white.

I think yours may be awesomer... Team black for the bases, all the way.

Katrine - make it and fake it said...

The mirror fits perfectly! I love it!! and wat a great bargain!! :)

love K

alison giese Interiors said...

Wait! When did you get an Elkins chair?
I can barely get past it to admire the mirror!

Emily | Recently said...

First, how cool is it that your sweet pups made it into the picture? I have a few of these mirrors favorited on Etsy. I love them and agree that they add that certain something. Maybe they're the new sunburst? ;)