Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dolphins, Dolphins Everywhere

Ever since I bought the "dolphin table" at an estate sale and put it in my antique booth, I've been seeing examples of Grotto furniture all over.  First up, Iris Apfel's maximalist apartment featured recently in Architectural Digest . . .
It's kind of hard to see the base of the table, but those are dolphins. She also has a beautiful Chinese Chippendale pagoda mirror. Gorgeous!
Next up, The Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. Dolphins and Greek Key everywhere you looked . . .
And in the latest Veranda, the home in the Bahamas (that I mentioned in my last post) includes a custom daybed that features . . . you guessed it . . . a dolphin. 
Once again, it's kind of hard to see in this photo (easier to see in actual magazine), but at the head of the recamier near the orchids is the dolphin.
And, once again, my table. 
In the booth . . .
and when I first spotted it.
So, what does all this mean? What is the significance of all these dolphins? Not much, other than they're super cool. Also, my dolphin table is still up for sale . . . it really is an amazing piece that would make such a statement.

7 comments:

Style Redesign said...

Kathy, it's no suprise that Iris Apfel had a chinese Chippendale mirror above an ornately carved dolohin table-she clearly adorned her home just as she adorned her body with jewelry!
Love the dolphin table btw-

Tanya
www.stylestudiollc.com

The enchanted home said...

Actually love dolphins. The only dolphin thing I own however is a gorgeous pair of Tiffany candlesticks and a bowl given to me for my wedding 25 years ago! But I love them.......that first picture is incredible!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Your booth is looking mighty fine these days!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

I agree your booth looks so good!! There really are a lot of dolphins but they are all so pretty!I really like your blog.

Jessie said...

Your dolphin table looks so unique and beautiful. I never realized there are so many dolphin furniture around.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

nelya said...

I can't believe that exquisite table has not sold yet. Makes no sense.

Ailith Blesington said...

I can see that even the flooring is on a Greek key. And the dolphin theme on the furniture is something we all don't usually see. I love how you combine things in your interior designing. It look fresh and elevating, like that table with dolphin stands.